How to pay NHIF penalty via M-Pesa is a key question that needs to be addressed holistically. NHIF operates under the directive of the ministry of health. One should be paying all monthly penalties by the 9th of every month. If one is paying after this date he or she will be considering paying late fees and attract penalties.
NHIF Penalties for Late Payments
How to pay NHIF penalty via M-Pesa is simple. The NHIF penalties for late payment apply differently for those in the formal and informal sectors.To begin, if you are in the formal sector, the penalty you attract equals the amount you are contributing, thus you will be paying double the amount.If you are self-employed, you are attracting a 50% NHIF penalty charge following late payment. For example, if you are contributing Ksh.500 monthly then you will be paying Ksh.750 for late payments.
How to Pay NHIF Penalty via Mpesa
Mpesa is being used widely around the country. It is easy to use and you can easily make your payments anywhere anytime. Below are simple steps on how to pay your NHIF penalty via Mpesa.
- Go to your Mpesa Menu
- Click on Lipa Na Mpesa
- Select Paybill Option
- Enter Business Number(200222)
- Enter your National ID number as the account number and add the letter “y”, for instance, 34566732y. This treats the payment as a penalty
- Enter the amount to contribute
- Input your Mpesa pin number and send
- You will get a confirmation message containing the details of your NHIF payment.