How can you add beneficiaries on to your NHIF easily? The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) has made tremendous strides in assisting Kenyans to access medical services. This is especially true in a time of need regardless of whether they have the cash to pay or not.
Having been instituted in 1966 by an Act of parliament, NHIF has witnessed reviews over the years and is now governed by Act No. 9 of 1998. NHIF dependent registration is one of those elements whose rules have changed in recent times.
The new reviews necessitate that married Kenyans must present proof of marriage before adding spouses as NHIF beneficiaries. This was aimed at curbing fraudulent cases where some individuals would include distant relatives, mistresses, and girlfriends under the fabrication of marriage. So, what is the process of adding dependents on your NHIF?
You only need a copy of your ID and a coloured passport-size photo to register with NHIF. To add dependants, you will also need a copy of the marriage certificate or sworn affidavit from a magistrate’s court and a copy of ID for the spouse. For kids, you need birth certificates. pic.twitter.com/lrYGp3ElNC
— NHIF Kenya (@nhifkenya) July 25, 2018
Documents needed Before going to NHIF offices or Huduma Centre, you need to have all the required documentation, lest you want to queue for long only to be told you to come back again with all the documents required. Carry the following:
- A copy of your National ID
- A copy of your spouse’s National ID
- Photocopy of marriage certificate or a sworn affidavit from a magistrate in case of a traditional union. If one has more than one wife, then they will have to register for an additional card to cover them. This is if they had not been included in the initial NHIF card.
- Attach a copy of your child’s birth certificate. If the kid is below six months, then a birth notification can be used instead.
- Attach coloured passport size photos for your dependents.
How to add dependents to your NHIF card With the correct documents, these are the steps to follow when amending your dependents to your NHIF:
You need to fill the NHIF amendment form. You can acquire the form from any of the NHIF branches, Huduma Center, or you can download it online.
Make sure to state the amendments needed, in this case, adding dependents to NHIF. Fill the relevant sections and add your signature where required to confirm that the information is correct.
Attach all the other needed documents to the NHIF dependent registration form.
Visit any NHIF branch or Huduma Centre and hand over the forms to the relevant officer. The officer will go through to verify if all documents are there, and will key in some information into the system. He/she will then fill the section, “For official use only.” Afterward, all the new information with the dependents will be updated to your account.
You can also amend your dependents’ details digitally using the following steps:
1. First, log in to your NHIF account using your email address and password, or create an account
if you do not have one.
2. Tap on the dependent’s registration on the menu
3. Key in your national identity number
4. Fill in all the necessary fields
5. Attach a scanned copy of dependent’s coloured passport photo
6. Attach a scanned copy of dependent’s birth certificate/ marriage certificate/affidavit
7. Then save the document and submit. Note that if not all fields are filled, then you cannot submit
8. The system will keep a tab on the submission status by sending a notification to the contributor’s